Monday, May 28, 2007

Its Done! First handpainted fiber spun up!

Well this is it,, the last day of vacation. Everything went well all week til Saturday. It was my niece's first birthday party,, family and I were all set to run into Brooklyn for it. We ran to the the Starbucks drive thru for some iced coffee's for the ride in (boy was it hot that day!). As we pulled into the order area,, hubby shut the car off so the Starbucks person could hear the order, rather than over our diesel car running. Place order, hubby goes to start the car. Nothing. Nada. Not even a click. Starter troubles. Hubby was not amused. We got the car over to a parking space, son picked up our iced coffees from the window, hubby proceeded to walk home to get our other car to push/start up mine. For people that dont know,, even with a dead starter,, in a stick shift car,,,, give it a nice push start while its in gear and it starts up.

Thats what hubby did but not before son and I were cooking in/out of the car in the Starbucks parking lot. At least I got some color. Just very sorry I missed my niece's party,, :( Happy Birthday Bryn!

So hubby did what all handy hubby's do,, he worked on the car Saturday,, he worked on the car Sunday,,,, and discovered it was a wire that came off on the starter,,,, he did a quick fix for now. I hope it holds.

Other than that, went to our friends next door yesterday for a BBQ and sort of repaid the favor,, by bringing a ton of food today back over to their house, and we BBQ'ed again. Just dont want to go back to work tomorrow! 10 days is not enough to be off! I want to just be able to enjoy this weather on my front or back porch,,,knitting and spinning and listening to all the birds around me. Retirement wont be here soon enough, sigh.

Talking about spinning,,,, I FINISHED! The Bobbin was done Saturday nite, guess it pays to be aggravated over car troubles,,, I just lost myself in my spinning to not think about it. And once that was done,,, I started navajo plying it yesterday,, till 4 am this morning, lol. Once I was up for good this morning, I worked on it off and on in about 3 sessions till it was done.

Here's my pics!


I tried so hard to get it all on the bobbin. I had to stop when it overflowed, and a strand started to get stuck in the gear of my Woolee Winder. This was all that was left on the orginal bobbin of singles on the right. So so close, lol.

Lesson learned tho,,,Must use Lendrum Plying head rather than Woolee Winder.


On the niddy noddy. This is on my large niddy now, 72" one wrap around (I am very tired right about now), so 235 wraps,, I have 470 yds of yarn? Like I said I am tired,, but happy if my math (which always sucked) is correct.

I had a few breaks here and there (talk about having a heart attack!)which I spit joined,,,I am very happy with the results tho.



Of course due to the flash it comes off much brighter. Must take a pic of it in the sunlight once it is all washed up!



I also have to do the WPI to see what it comes out to. I basically spun this nice and even this time,, but I do have some slightly thicker areas in it, not much tho.

I think most of it comes close to fingering weight. Slowly but surely,, slowly but surely.

Now the really hard part. What the hell do I make with it? Suggestions please!


Ciao for now!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Blogger LaBean said...

I'm sorry you missed your niece's party, that's heartbreaking... And it's good to know how to start up a stick-shift.. but you know how those freak me out :))

The yarn is omgoodness!! Very even and fingering weight!! I've got to work on my evenness so badly it's not funny.. What do you do with it? I'd make a shawl or some socks.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

Wow - that looks fab! It's beautifully even. I aspire to spin like that someday. :)

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger LICraftgal said...

Wow Nancy that is incredible!!! I hope my yarn comes out half as nice. I love those colors. That looks like either socks or a shawl.

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Secret pal here!
Love the handspun!
sorry about the party!
hope you will have fun in this sp round!
I know I will do my best to spoil you rotten!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger hstackpole said...

I hope you are going to make me something extra nice with that yarn since you missed my very first birthday ever! Bryn ;)

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger KnitChick said...

Socks of course!! :) Did you navajo ply this? It's really beautiful...and you spin with a LOT of twist! I always seem to fall short - yours looks professional!! Great job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home